Thursday, March 12, 2009

Teaching Greek

Something I really enjoy about being a campus pastor is the opportunity to minister and counsel young men who may be considering going to seminary to become pastors. Being only three years out of seminary, I enjoy reminiscing about the chapel life, classmates, classes, professors, dorm life, and other aspects of that time in my life. Being a 'Johnny come lately' to the decision to enter seminary myself (I did so at the end of my third-year of university), I can also relate to the questions they have about theological education, being a pastor, etc.

It's a tough deliberation for a lot of young men and I cannot make the decision for them. I'm as forthright as can be about the realities of the workload (of both seminary and of being a pastor), the likely debt load, and the frustrations that exist for pastors, but I also love being a pastor and I am outspoken in that regard as well. A huge part of helping young men make such a decision for me involves educating them as well as I can so that whatever decision they make, it will be based on prayer, information, and experience, and not only a gut feeling one way or another.

So I teach Greek. Every Thursday this semester I've been introducing three young men to Koine Greek to give them an idea of the academic rigor of seminary education. Admittedly Greek is more of a means than an end when it comes to theological education, but it helps nonetheless. It also offers opportunities to segue into related theological matters that come to them or me in our sessions.

I enjoy this teaching and interaction with the young men who may or may not end up studying at the seminary. It gives them a real chance to see what they may be getting themselves into, and if they decide that seminary is not the right option for themselves, the church still needs well read and educated laity to serve as congregational leaders. It's a win-win, and I even get to keep up my Greek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please:
1) stay on topic
2) avoid characterizations
3) be kind
Thanks!