Saturday, August 6, 2011

30 Days of Music

Another Facebook game - take thirty days, posting one item each day for 30 in a row.  I know that I would never remember to do that, so I'm going to do that on this blog, working a bit, saving the post, and so on, until it's done.  Then I'll post it here and put it up on Facebook.  Just make sure to come back every day for 30 days. :-)

day 01 - your favorite song
Choosing one song is very difficult.  Like so many others, it changes regularly.  I suppose that my favorite song right now, the one that I keep going back to, is 'Reminiscing' by the Little River Band.  Now, to be fair, I'm talking about the band when John Farnum was singing lead, because he's one of the best male vocalists in modern memory.

day 02 - your least favorite song
You would think that after the last one, this would be easier, and it was.  I hate that song by Shaggy where he's like 'I didn't do it.'  I've never even bothered to listen to the whole song long enough to figure out what he didn't do.

day 03 - a song that makes you happy
'For Once in My Life' by Stevie Wonder.  He's simply a fantastic entertainer!

day 04 - a song that makes you sad
Garth Brooks, 'To Make You Feel My Love'.  What's sadder is that I'm no Garth Brooks fan.


day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
Finlandia

day 06 - a song that reminds of you of somewhere
'Somewhere Beyond the Sea' by Bobby Darin

day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
'Nun Danket Aller Gott' - Siegfried Karg-Elert

day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
'Lady' - Kenny Rogers.  As long as nobody asks me why I know all these words, we can still be friends, okay?

day 09 - a song that you can dance to
'That Sunday, That Summer' - Nat King Cole
 
day 10 - a song that makes you fall asleep
Songs don't make me fall asleep - I can't sleep if I'm thinking of a song, actually.  I used to try, but always failed.  I love listening to music before bed, but have to turn it off before I hit the lights.
 
day 11 - a song from your favorite band
'Sinking Ships' - Sloan

day 12 - a song from a band you hate
Anything by REM, but especially the song about it being the end of the world as we know it.  Ugh.

day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure
AC/DC - Highway to Hell.  It's my ringtone.  Yes, I like the raised eyebrows when people hear it and wonder aloud, 'is that...on your...?'  :-)

day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love
I can't think of anything.  I'm pretty predictable.

day 15 - a song that describes you
'I'm a work in progress.'  I don't know who sings it, and it's a country song, but it sure describes me.  That, or 'Creep' by Radiohead, because I'm a creep.
 
day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate
'Hangin' Tough' by New Kids On The Block
 
day 17 - a song that you hear often on the radio
'Old Days' - Chicago
 
day 18 - a song that you wish you heard on the radio
'Old Man River' from Showboat.  Great song.
 
day 19 - a song from your favorite album
'Paranoid Android' - OK Computer (Radiohead)
 
day 20 - a song that you listen to when you’re angry
Holst: The Planets (Usually Mars, sometimes Uranus and Saturn, too)

day 21 - a song that you listen to when you’re happy
Most any song will do, but to balance the above, Jupiter from the Planets.

day 22 - a song that you listen to when you’re sad
Haven't been truly sad in a while, but I have enjoyed the fourth movement of Mahler's 5th Symphony at such moments.  Also Mahler's Kindertotenlieder.
 
day 23 - a song that you want to play at your wedding
I didn't play anything at our wedding, but I was very glad to have, 'Lord when you came as welcome guest' for the sermon hymn; sung to 'Resignation' tune.  It was great!

day 24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral
So many to choose from.  Literally, so many.  Gerhardt's Why Should Cross and Trial Grieve Me; For All The Saints'; Jerusalem the Golden; I Know My Faith is Founded; The Day of Resurrection; Of the Father's Love Begotten; O Come, All Ye Faithful; Come Ye Faithful Raise the Strain; Awake my Heart with Gladness; O Sacred Head Now Wounded; The Bridegroom Soon Will Call Us; Dear Christians One and All Rejoice; Salvation Unto Us Has Come; etc. etc. etc. etc.
How about this - I want substantive hymns that will comfort anyone who comes.  Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, What a Friend We Have In Jesus, The Old Rugged Cross (is that hymn even about Jesus?), and Great is They Faithfulness do not have the sturdiness, the teeth, if you will, to cut through the shroud of death surrounding anyone.  Sing of life when I die; sing of Jesus' life when I die.  Don't sing about your feelings, please.
 
day 25 - a song that makes you laugh
Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije Suite.
 
day 26 - a song that you can play on an instrument
I think my favorite on the trombone was the Hindemith Sonata - that was a killer!  Loved it!

day 27 - a song that you wish you could play
I wish I could still play that aforementioned Hindemith!
 
day 28 - a song that makes you feel guilty
Anything by Rod Stewart - I hear it and feel guilty of a crime against taste, sensibility, and my ears!

day 29 - a song from your childhood
'Dreamer' by Supertramp.  Also sung by my father when we wanted something unrealistic, and when it involved us being bratty, it was sung sarcastically :-)

day 30 - your favorite song at this time last year
Michael Buble, 'Everything'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please:
1) stay on topic
2) avoid characterizations
3) be kind
Thanks!